[arch-releng] The road to a more cleaner aif.git master history

Dieter Plaetinck dieter at plaetinck.be
Sat Mar 5 14:36:24 EST 2011

I'm not proud of the history of the aif master branch.
I never really figured out the right way of doing things, especially with the new approach where we just push commits to it, see how they work out on the testimages, and push more commits when needed...

But now I think I got it figured out, a way to achieve a nice and clean master history.
Starting today, main development happens in my 'development' branch and/or more feature branches (which can all get rewritten at some points), then we'll push stable stuff to master when we feel really good about them, because i don't want to ever rewrite master.

obviously, releng test images will from now on be built from the development branch

See
http://projects.archlinux.org/aif.git/commit/?id=f2348ba05300118b1475441e6f75be3995603c49
I also blogged about my newly found insights at
http://dieter.plaetinck.be/why-rewriting-git-history-and-why-commits-imperative-present-tense.html