[arch-releng] Iso tests

Dieter Plaetinck dieter at plaetinck.be
Thu Mar 10 14:24:04 EST 2011

On Thu, 10 Mar 2011 19:17:37 +0100
Tom Willemsen <tom.willemsen at archlinux.us> wrote:

> > * there will need to be some kind of "are you human test"
> >   on the input form (a simple question/response check might do fine,
> >   like "which Linux distro is this about? (just the 4-letter word)")
> > * I would prefer even some sort of authentication.  if there was a way
> >   to allow people to authenticate with their bbs or archwiki login, or
> >   even get cookies from the wiki (does archlinux.org get the cookies
> >   from wiki.archlinux.org?)  this will be needed to have some
> >   credibility for entries, as well as a way to get back to the user if
> >   I have any questions about their report.  also if we have this, we
> >   don't need the 'are you human' test.
> That would be pretty cool, I only know it _should_ be possible if we
> just grab credentials from the bbs/wiki/aur database, but I think that
> would be beyond the scope of just the app I'm writing. Of course I could
> look at how (re)captcha works.

I think this app needs authentication (for webbased form input), there are 2 reasons in my previous mail.  Why do you think this app doesn't need authentication?
captcha isn't needed if we have authentication.

> > * I will need to install this either locally (any tips on that?) or
> >   maybe we host it on archlinux.org directly (if that seems safe
> >   enough, Dan? note that we'll need to update it regularly to test
> >   updates, but I could review code/queries - but I have zero django
> >   knowledge), when I do that, I can give feedback on the actual
> >   features and workflow.
> If it's just for testing you can easily git clone it and follow the
> instructions provided in archweb's README, django has a very nice
> testing webserver.
I'll try.

> If you want it in a separate project so you can host it, that's also
> fairly easy to do, I think, just let me know.
>
> > * Can you provide a sample static page called "help" or something?
> >   When I have a setup that I can test on, I can start writing the
> >   contents for that help page.  It will be needed anyway for users who
> >   want to use the app, and at the same time it can serve as
> >   implementation guideline for you.
> I don't know, for as far as I've understood django just doesn't do
> static pages, you place them where no django url points to on the web
> sever and whichever webserver you're running should serve that static
> page (I'm sure Dan or someone else can explain much clearer, sorry).

AFAIK templates/public/download.html is a static page, maybe looking at that can help you.

> But wouldn't that be a good idea for a wiki page that is linked to,
> maybe?
nah, the help page is tied to this application, so the code for
it should go along with the source code of the app.  it should also be served
with the same style, etc.