[arch-releng] The Archiso situation

Thomas Bächler thomas at archlinux.org
Thu Mar 17 12:00:57 EDT 2011

Am 17.03.2011 16:50, schrieb Dieter Plaetinck:
> Gerhard is inactive.
> Since I'm the only other releng person, some people expect me to do it,
> even though I don't like being involved in archiso and I already spend
> a lot of time on all other releng tasks (aif, image building, image
> testing, releasing, ...)
> Gerardo knows archiso and has commit access to it, but he also has
> little time and he never made any commitment to us in any way (he is
> just a community member).

Gerardo has done some work in the past, but not in the last 3 months.

This is worse than I thought: I saw Gerardo reply to some patch sent,
but he never commited it. I even sent him an email if he could finish
some cool work that I started, but he never got back to me. I assumed he
was semi-active, which apparently is false.

(The work I started was about making a self-contained image in the
/arch/ directory on the ISO. This is partially done already, but I
recently succeeded in moving /syslinux/ into /arch/ and only leave
behind a tiny /boot/ directory that would chdir() to /arch/boot/syslinux
when loading. This would further simplify installing onto an existing
vfat USB drive, as you only need to
1) copy the whole /arch folder
2) extlinux --install /mnt/arch/boot/syslinux
3) adjust the archisolabel in the syslinux configuration files)

> Thomas (and a few other devs) know archiso and has commit access, but
> he also has more then enough Arch stuff on his plate.

Hell, and I can't even get that done.

If someone can collect the pending patches from this list (and maybe
Gerardo's github) for me, I can check and apply them. But I guess we
desperately need a maintainer for archiso. It is a task with not a lot
to do, but still needs to be done.