[arch-releng] The Archiso situation

Gerardo Exequiel Pozzi vmlinuz386 at yahoo.com.ar
Fri Mar 18 17:09:12 EDT 2011

On 03/17/2011 01:00 PM, Thomas Bächler wrote:
> Am 17.03.2011 16:50, schrieb Dieter Plaetinck:
>> Gerhard is inactive.
>> Since I'm the only other releng person, some people expect me to do it,
>> even though I don't like being involved in archiso and I already spend
>> a lot of time on all other releng tasks (aif, image building, image
>> testing, releasing, ...)
>> Gerardo knows archiso and has commit access to it, but he also has
>> little time and he never made any commitment to us in any way (he is
>> just a community member).
> Gerardo has done some work in the past, but not in the last 3 months.
>
> This is worse than I thought: I saw Gerardo reply to some patch sent,
> but he never commited it. I even sent him an email if he could finish
> some cool work that I started, but he never got back to me. I assumed he
> was semi-active, which apparently is false.
>
> (The work I started was about making a self-contained image in the
> /arch/ directory on the ISO. This is partially done already, but I
> recently succeeded in moving /syslinux/ into /arch/ and only leave
> behind a tiny /boot/ directory that would chdir() to /arch/boot/syslinux
> when loading. This would further simplify installing onto an existing
> vfat USB drive, as you only need to
> 1) copy the whole /arch folder
> 2) extlinux --install /mnt/arch/boot/syslinux
> 3) adjust the archisolabel in the syslinux configuration files)
>
>> Thomas (and a few other devs) know archiso and has commit access, but
>> he also has more then enough Arch stuff on his plate.
> Hell, and I can't even get that done.
>
> If someone can collect the pending patches from this list (and maybe
> Gerardo's github) for me, I can check and apply them. But I guess we
> desperately need a maintainer for archiso. It is a task with not a lot
> to do, but still needs to be done.

Hello,

First, sorry for "no response".

I can take this weekend to review all pending archiso patches.

I think that there are at least three patches:

1) Thomas: syslinux/arch directory structure.
2) Charles: autologin on tty1
3) Simo: serial port support.

Please let me know if there are more. Please resend to ML and append in
the tittle [archiso].

There are minor issues (can be considered as cosmetic) with aufs2 and
util-linux-2.19 that I want to report to upstream.

PS: I will change compression from gzip -> xz by default when 2.6.38
hits [core].

--
Gerardo Exequiel Pozzi
\cos^2\alpha + \sin^2\alpha = 1