[arch-releng] [arch-general] Default Bootloader for AIF

David Campbell davekong at archlinux.us
Sun Mar 27 17:06:57 EDT 2011

Excerpts from Dieter Plaetinck's message of 2011-03-27 10:01:35 -0400:
> If I want to support GPT I will need decent utilities from upstream.
> I know about parted and sgdisk but I need a toolset for:
> - interactive partitioning

Because I was not too happy with doing interactive partitioning
with parted, I started a project [cparted][1]. I thought it was
going to be ready for use soon, but then realized it has some
issues (alignment wrong, fixing alignment had other unwanted side
effects), and am not sure how soon they will be fixed. But this
brings up a couple questions. If cparted is in good working
order, would it be considered for use with AIF? Is having Python
and [pyparted][2] as dependencies OK?

[1]: https://github.com/davekong/cparted
[2]: https://fedorahosted.org/pyparted/

> - scripted partitioning (for auto-installs)

You can run parted in --script mode.

> - the input format for the scripts should be similar/the same whether you use MBR or GPT.

The input format would be the same.
--
David Campbell