[arch-releng] our core-dual images are too big

Dieter Plaetinck dieter at plaetinck.be
Sun May 15 06:25:18 EDT 2011

On Fri, 06 May 2011 15:28:29 +0200
Pierre Schmitz <pierre at archlinux.de> wrote:

> On Fri, 06 May 2011 17:45:13 +1000, Allan McRae wrote:
> > On 06/05/11 17:31, Dieter Plaetinck wrote:
> >> On Thu, 05 May 2011 21:38:14 -0300
> >> adding exceptions in download-repo.sh to work around limitations in our
> >> repo scripts is not the way to go imho.  let's get those packages out
> >> of core the proper way, and let's see if/how we can cut another 10MB.
> >>

> > That limitation in the devtools/db-scripts has been around ever since
> > split packages became available in pacman/makepkg.   I would not bank
> > on it getting fixed in the short term  (or even in the long term...)
>
> I wont got into details here but putting split packages into different
> repos is a "wont implement". It's more a limitation of how we use svn
> and the repos. There was a thread about the details on the mailing list.

I can't find that thread. Where exactly was this discussed?
I understand this is probably hard to fix, on the other hand:
1) this is a violation of what the core repository is for (and we had a very
extensive discussion on that recently). see
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Official_repositories#.5Bcore.5D
2) it makes the core repo bigger than it should be, which makes my job harder.