[arch-releng] our core-dual images are too big

Pierre Schmitz pierre at archlinux.de
Mon May 16 00:30:06 EDT 2011

On Sun, 15 May 2011 12:25:18 +0200, Dieter Plaetinck wrote:
> On Fri, 06 May 2011 15:28:29 +0200
> Pierre Schmitz <pierre at archlinux.de> wrote:

>> > That limitation in the devtools/db-scripts has been around ever since
>> > split packages became available in pacman/makepkg.   I would not bank
>> > on it getting fixed in the short term  (or even in the long term...)
>>
>> I wont got into details here but putting split packages into different
>> repos is a "wont implement". It's more a limitation of how we use svn
>> and the repos. There was a thread about the details on the mailing list.
>
> I can't find that thread. Where exactly was this discussed?
> I understand this is probably hard to fix, on the other hand:
> 1) this is a violation of what the core repository is for (and we had a very
> extensive discussion on that recently). see
> https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Official_repositories#.5Bcore.5D
> 2) it makes the core repo bigger than it should be, which makes my
> job harder.
>
> Dieter

I have to admit my response as probably too short. The thread I meant
was
http://mailman.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-dev-public/2011-February/019268.html
and some other related ones which I didn't find quickly.

The problem is how we store PKGBUILDs in svn and assign them to
different repos and arches. (e.g. /pkgname/repos/extra-i686) This
layout
wont work with several use cases we'd like to have: split packages with
different architectures and repositories. Later in that thread I have
proposed a possible solution. But I haven't a solid concept yet and it
will be a major break and would probably need changes in makepkg etc..

In short: There is no simple patch to solve this as this us an design
issue. Trying to add it to our current repo layout would be an ugly
hack, complex and in fact this would be a bigger violation of our
"philosophy".

However: I know about these issue and they will probably solved in some
way in the future. But you shouldn't wait for it to happen.

Greetings,

Pierre