[arch-releng] [archiso] saying good-bye to union-fs-method?

Gerardo Exequiel Pozzi vmlinuz386 at yahoo.com.ar
Tue May 31 20:43:50 EDT 2011

On 05/31/2011 03:19 PM, Thomas Bächler wrote:

>>> Yes, but there are at least one downside: since is not an union-fs,
>>> there is no concept of layers. We are currently using "overlay" thats
>>> overlap some files on the layer "root-image".
>> This is not problematic.
OK.

Maybe if we want to maintain an original root-image we can do this using
a snapshot with all changes.
This make the build process a bit more complex.

>>> About your question: The squasfs image contains only one file... an
>>> image of and 4 GiB ext4. There is another small squasfs image with
>>> another one file inside that is a "lvm snapshot". So dm device is made
>>> via these images loopback mounted...
>> Some of this doesn't make sense to me right now (especially the second
>> squashfs image).
>>
>> However: With an ext4 loopback inside the squashfs image you loose one
>> squashfs feature: metadata compression. I don't know how bad that will
>> be though.
Yes. But the difference is small.

# du -sh /tmp/archbase*
398M    /tmp/archbase (1)
456M    /tmp/archbase.ext4 (2)
148M    /tmp/archbase.ext4.sfs (3)
145M    /tmp/archbase.sfs (4)

(1) "base" group with all deps.
(2) 1GiB file (sparse) then copy all files on it (avoid unused space
usage of file deletions, in other words: trash)
(3) squashfs of one file (/tmp/archbase.ext4)
(4) squashfs of many files (/tmp/archbase/)
>> I'll summarize what I think is going on: You mount the squashfs (loop0),
>> and set up the ext4 image inside as loop1. You then create a large
>> sparse file on tmpfs and set it up as loop2. Then, you create a snapshot
>> device (can't use LVM here, can one use the device-mapper snapshot
>> target directly?) with loop1 as read-only and loop2 as read-write layer.
>> You then mount that device. Sounds doable, but not optimal (a VFS-based
>> solution would be way cooler).
> Okay, this is how a short test works:
>
> # dd if=/dev/zero of=ro.img bs=1 seek=100M count=1
> # dd if=/dev/zero of=cow.img bs=1 seek=100M count=1
> # mkfs.ext4 -F ro.img
> # losetup /dev/loop0 ro.img
> # losetup /dev/loop1 cow.img
> # mount /dev/loop0 /some/path
> (put some stuff into /some/path)
> # umount /some/path
> # echo "0 $(blockdev --getsize /dev/loop0) snapshot /dev/loop0
> /dev/loop1 N 8" | dmsetup create snapshottest
> (8 ist the "chunk size" here, which is now 8 sectors. no idea what a
> good value might be)
I think that 8 is the optimal 8*512 = 4096, that is the size of block of
ext4 image and the block size of loopback device.
> # mount /dev/mapper/snapshottest /mnt/other
> (do whatever you want in /mnt/other)
> # umount /mnt/other
> # dmsetup remove snapshottest
> # losetup -d /dev/loop0
> # losetup -d /dev/loop1
>
> In archiso, the file 'ro.img' would be inside squashfs, while 'cow.img'
> would be in a tmpfs. Noteagain that we might get worse compression with
> a single file in squashfs, compared to a real read-only squashfs - we
> could consider making part of the file system entirely read-only, not sure.
Again not a big issue here, in terms of size.
> This seems fairly easy to implement on the mounting side. Creation of
> the ext4 should be pretty straightforward, too.
There are others downside, only notable when you work inside the "live
medium": Create/modify a file and delete it, the space is not released
at "physical level" (on tmpfs), like now where new/modify files are
written directly on tmpfs.

So go ahead?

What do you think: support of both modes if aufs come again(*) or change
all code and simply keep this mode (if all people are happy)

Thanks for your feedback.

(*) or something official union layer in Linux 100.0 :P.

--
Gerardo Exequiel Pozzi
\cos^2\alpha + \sin^2\alpha = 1