[arch-releng] using mkinitcpio-git in releng env

Thomas Bächler thomas at archlinux.org
Thu Nov 24 04:41:59 EST 2011

Am 24.11.2011 10:24, schrieb Dieter Plaetinck:
> On Wed, 23 Nov 2011 23:52:53 +0100
> Thomas Bächler <thomas at archlinux.org> wrote:
>
>> We could install mkinitcpio-git in the releng environments. Dieter?
>
> This is technically very possible, of course.
> OTOH that seems messy:
> the goal of the releng environment is to build isos based on stable/known packages.
> testing isos which can turn into stable isos after testing. (stable isos definitely need to be built from packages)
> archiso is the exception because it's only used for iso building anyway.
> and sometimes i enable testing packages and then disable it again, to test specific packages.
> but git packages are a step further (too far imho)
>
> I would like to keep a clean env to build "testing->stable" images,
> is using testing packages not enough? or can't you locally build isos with mkinitcpio from git?
> if "no and no", i would rather setup a 2nd env rather then "unstabilizing" the current one.

The packages that are installed on the ISO are standard core packages
regardless. This is only about the mkinitcpio version used to build the
image. If we want to test new features now, but mkinitcpio releases take
too long, this is the only way. This is not about destabilizing, this is
about fixing bugs that prevent us from moving the archiso development ahead.

The 'mkinitcpio' package is only used for building archiso's initramfs,
so there is no way to do harm, other than having a broken test ISO.