[arch-releng] using mkinitcpio-git in releng env

Dieter Plaetinck dieter at plaetinck.be
Thu Nov 24 09:54:40 EST 2011

On Thu, 24 Nov 2011 09:52:03 -0300
Gerardo Exequiel Pozzi <vmlinuz386 at yahoo.com.ar> wrote:

> On 11/24/2011 09:06 AM, Thomas Bächler wrote:
> > Am 24.11.2011 11:45, schrieb Dieter Plaetinck:
> >> mkinitcpio is also used to build users' initramfs and users' isos.
> > No. Right now, the mkinitcpio version in the releng environment is
> > only used for building the initramfs used in the ISO. The version
> > installed into the ISO environment itself can be a different one.
> >
> mkinitcpio must match in build env and in "root-image".
>
> But now, I changed this because mkinitcpio -b is broken, so only
> needs mkinitcpio to be installed on "root-image". (see recent RFC
> patch)

Okay, thanks.

Btw Thomas, all I'm saying is I think it makes more sense to have either:
A) a "stable" build env (like we have now) + building very early prototypes (i.e. using very bleeding edge mkinitcpio stuff) on your own pc
B) a "stable" build env + a new build env using mkinitcpio from git.

You don't like those solutions? If not, why?