[arch-releng] [archiso] checksum logic changes, opinions?

Gerardo Exequiel Pozzi vmlinuz386 at yahoo.com.ar
Sat Nov 26 12:33:46 EST 2011

Hello

We are currently checksuming all files inside $archisobasedir (aitab,
*sfs, kernel/initramfs and boot/syslinux related files) this is stored
in one file only. Its works good for now, but I think we only need to
checksum only aitab and *.sfs if they are needed.
Currently if you boot a dual-iso in i686, you are also checksuming *.sfs
for x86_64. Not a big issue, this just take a bit more time.
The real issue is when booting via PXE with HTTP/FTP methods, since they
download only aitab and only needed *.sfs files, so you can not use
directly the only one file where checksums are stored.

My proposition is:

(1) Do not checksum syslinux related files, anyway you are already reach
initramfs stage.
(2) Do not checksum kernel/initramfs files, for the same as (1)
(3) Two options here in how to make checksums:
(3.1) Two checksum.${arch}.md5 for each i686 and x86_64 for only aitab
and *.sfs (I like this, is much more simple to implement)
(3.2) One checksum for each *.sfs and aitab placed in the same directory
where such file reside, (i.e /arch/boot/i686/root-image.fs.sfs.md5)

Opinions? Thanks.

--
Gerardo Exequiel Pozzi
\cos^2\alpha + \sin^2\alpha = 1