[arch-releng] official installation guide

Dieter Plaetinck dieter at plaetinck.be
Thu Oct 13 16:26:08 EDT 2011

Continuing this on arch-releng ML.
This started with a PM from me to Desmond on the wiki.

On Thu, 13 Oct 2011 16:13:14 -0400
Desmond Cox <desmondgc at gmail.com> wrote:

> Dieter,
>
> Removing the guide from the wiki was discussed (albeit briefly) on the
> arch-releng mailing list:
>
> http://mailman.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-releng/2011-June/001805.html
>
> ... specifically in this post:
>
> http://mailman.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-releng/2011-June/001829.html
>
> There seemed to be little or no objection to removing the guide at the
> time. Rather, the majority opinion appeared to be in favour of merging
> the guides (albeit by a small margin).
>
> I apologize for not announcing this change more prominently first. How
> would you like to proceed?
>
> -- Des
>
> On Thu, Oct 13, 2011 at 3:51 PM, Dieter be <dieter at plaetinck.be> wrote:
> > I noticed you removed the official installation guide.
> > Please don't do that, at least not without asking first.
> > I prefer to keep the page on the wiki like it was, it seems you have a different opinion, but before doing something drastic like this, you should IMHO discuss it first, so that other developers can cast their opinion.
> >
> > Dieter
> >
> > --
> > This e-mail was sent by Dieter be to Pointone by the "E-mail user" function at ArchWiki.

Rereading that discussion, it seems
- no agreement whatsoever was reached.
- i raised some counter arguments about the suggested approach(es), which were not addressed.

Here's what I suggest:
- you put the page back
- if you think really lots of effort is wasted by users not clearly seeing the page is not maintained through the wiki, we can make that a bit clearer (i.e. in the page header)
- all contributions are welcome through git.
specifically, let me know if the i8n patch @
https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/22088 looks good to you.