[arch-releng] archiso feature request: disable progress bars.

Dieter Plaetinck dieter at plaetinck.be
Sun Oct 16 05:28:22 EDT 2011

On Fri, 14 Oct 2011 22:56:10 -0300
Gerardo Exequiel Pozzi <vmlinuz386 at yahoo.com.ar> wrote:

> On 10/14/2011 02:20 PM, Gerardo Exequiel Pozzi wrote:
> > On 10/13/2011 05:44 PM, Dieter Plaetinck wrote:
> >> Hello senior Gerardo,
> >> how about making a build.sh command argument to disable progress bars?
> >> I.e. it would call mksquashfs -no-progress
> >> my logfiles would look prettier :)
> >> I thought maybe you could do "don't show progress bars when
> >> non-verbose" but I like the verbose flag so I can see errors/warnings.
> >> or maybe you should always show errors/warnings, also when not verbose.
> >> then I could run without the verbose flag and don't see any progress
> >> bars.
> >>

> >> Dieter
> >>

> > OK. I will look at the code again in few days. I am a bit busy in
> > these weeks.
> >

> OK just disabled progress bar, if you need other thing, please let me know.
>
> Error handling is a bit special (bash -x), it stop at the first thing
> that goes bad. Maybe can be a good idea to trap this and show an error
> message that says "for details enable verbose mode".
>
> http://projects.archlinux.org/archiso.git/commit/?id=51db47e74bb5209bb242d99e6d69b1f683dd3085

Thanks,
but did you mean bash -e ?
I have a similar problem with many of my scripts: I would like to rely on bash -e automatically exiting >0 when any command goes wrong, but the problem is, AFAIK, there's no way, if you use bash -e, to tell the user *which* command went wrong.
That's why I often instead of bash -e, do stuff like:
some cmd || die_error "some cmd failed"
for every command.  (libui.sh provides die_error)

see
http://projects.archlinux.org/users/dieter/releng.git/tree/scripts/releng-update-repos.sh

Although IMHO errors/warnings should always be shown, verbose mode or not. verbosity should only add extra non-essential information.