[arch-releng] aif profile for EFI/GPT with grub2, dm_crypt+lvm2 on SSD, archiso EFI?

Keshav P R the.ridikulus.rat at gmail.com
Fri Apr 6 11:44:20 EDT 2012

On Fri, Apr 6, 2012 at 19:34, Gerardo Exequiel Pozzi
<vmlinuz386 at yahoo.com.ar> wrote:
> On 04/06/2012 06:42 AM, Dieter Plaetinck wrote:
>>
>> based on a script somebody made
>> https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=129885
>> I wrote a profile for aif -p automatic:
>> http://pastie.org/3737804
>> For creating the filesystems, i leverage the aif functionality (it
>> supports everything needed).
>> For partitioning and installing the bootloader I use 2 custom functions as
>> aif currently does not support gpt/efi/grub2
>
> Nice :)
>
> Do you need grub2 installed on live-enviroment? In such case we need to
> replace grub with grub2.

I suggest doing this.

>> The install seems to run fine, but since archiso currently boots through
>> bios, i cannot make the efi entries with efibootmgr (no efi vars after
>
> Do you want to include this tool (efibootmgr) in live-enviroment?

Better.

>> I saw the recent patches for archiso EFI support, what's the current
>> status of that?
>
> STATUS: Working (1) / Waiting for feedback (2) / Waiting for Linux-3.3 hits
> [core] (3)
>
> (1) Its works: there is no boot manager, just an efi-shell that executes an
> startup.nsh for passing boot parameters to the kernel. Using this method, at
> least until EFI_STUB supports linux.conf in mainline, anyway doing in this
> way is better because you can "edit" boot parameters.

I suggest keeping the shell, as it will give access to a shell in
those systems where the UEFI does not provide any option for launching
the shell or other efi apps.

> (2) Such patch increments in 20 MiB each of: netinstall-x86_64, core-x86_64,
> netinstall-dual and core-dual. The question is: all these ISOs should be
> EFI-enabled for "El Torito"?

That was my initial comment too. Size increment and file duplication.

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=1083439#p1083439