[arch-releng] anyone wants to take over maintainership of AIF?

Jeremiah Dodds jeremiah.dodds at gmail.com
Tue Aug 7 02:26:39 EDT 2012

Alexander Rødseth <rodseth at gmail.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I'm also interested. I would focus on making relatively minor changes
> to AIF over time, while developing a new installation system in
> parallel.
>
> The new installation system could be made available for testing early
> on, to gather feedback, but should not replace the old AIF until it
> was good enough (for some definition of good enough).

I would think "working" would suffice :P

> If you don't think this is a horrible plan and, after having discussed
> with me here, don't think I'm a horrible person, then I'm willing to
> put in some effort.
>
> Jeremiah also seem like a fine gentleman, and I wouldn't mind the
> slightest if he were elected.

I say if you feel like developing a new installer do it, and talk about
it. If you want to help with AIF, do so -- you might also want to take a
look at some of the other efforts that are going on at the moment, like
archboot[1] .

I'd definitely appreciate it if you either ping me via github or this
list wrt AIF work, if only to reduce duplication of effort (and for
collaboration), and I'd be more than glad to lend at least an eye to a
new install tool effort if it was a promising one.

Reading and modifying AIF's codebase has so far been pretty enlightening
in various ways, I'm still working out how to best go about the type of
restructuring it seems to be in need of -- one of the major difficulties
is that it's hard to test, at least with the resources I have on hand.

Footnotes:
[1]  https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Archboot

--
Jeremiah Dodds