[arch-releng] [archiso] handle number of inodes

Gerardo Exequiel Pozzi vmlinuz386 at yahoo.com.ar
Thu Dec 6 21:15:49 EST 2012

On 12/06/2012 10:18 AM, Christian Hesse wrote:
> Dave Reisner <d at falconindy.com> on Thu, 2012/12/06 08:14:
>> On Thu, Dec 06, 2012 at 02:05:13PM +0100, Christian Hesse wrote:
>>> Hello everybody,
>>>
>>> I came across a problem with my own live media. When placing directories
>>> with a lot of directories and small files inside a dedicated filesystem
>>> it is created with about 50% used size, but more than 90% indoes are
>>> used. This triggers errors when updating or installing software inside
>>> the live system.
>>>
>>> I have created a small patch that calculates the number of inodes, so
>>> about 50% are used. This fixes my problem, additionally this should
>>> decrease size of media if a lot less than 50% inodes were used otherwise.
>>>
>>> This is quick and dirty, so feel free to modify it to your preferences. I
>>> think you got the idea. ;)
>>> --
>>> main(a){char*c=/*    Schoene Gruesse                         */"B?IJj;MEH"
>>> "CX:;",b;for(a/*    Chris           get my mail address:
>>> */=0;b=c[a++];) putchar(b-1/(/*               gcc -o sig sig.c
>>> && ./sig    */b/42*2-3)*42);}
>>
>> You may want to attach the patch if you want it reviewed.
>
> Hmm, I did, just checked in my outbox. But no problem, you can get it from my
> website as well:
>
> http://www.eworm.de/download/linux/archiso_inodes.patch

Hello

Thanks for the patch. But I do not think that should be a good idea to
change the defaults. Maybe for your case can be a good idea to make
another custom.fs.sfs for this structure, and use a custom mke2fs.conf.

I guess XFS will fit much better for your case, with defaults.

Warning: the patch introduced a cosmethical change, that I want to keep.
(ext2 vs ext3)

--
Gerardo Exequiel Pozzi
\cos^2\alpha + \sin^2\alpha = 1