[arch-releng] GRUB2 in AIF

Keshav P R the.ridikulus.rat at gmail.com
Fri Mar 2 12:10:11 EST 2012

On Fri, Mar 2, 2012 at 22:27, Arokux B. <arokux at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 2, 2012 at 5:49 PM, Keshav P R <the.ridikulus.rat at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Fri, Mar 2, 2012 at 19:44, Dieter Plaetinck <dieter at plaetinck.be> wrote:

>>> random idea.
>>
>> It won't take much time to add grub2 support to AIF from Archboot, if
>> I can convert the DIALOG command to the corresponding lib-ui ones. But
>> right now grub2 is undergoing some changes (upstream) with the recent
>> release of 2.00~beta0 and I am hacking Archboot to make the
>> corresponding changes since the install process is also changing
>> slightly.
>>
>> I guess once grub2 is stabilized, gpt+grub2+uefi support can be added
>> to aif as a whole, or maybe with the larger process of actually
>> merging Archboot's setup script (which is far better than AIF in the
>> number of newer features/technologies it supports).
>>
>> So whose with me on merging the setup script, instead of just
>> grub2/gpt inclusion?

This is more like a suggestion. I don't have time to participate in
SOC due to reasons mentioned below. But this would solve the issue of
havinf to maintain 2 install scripts for Archlinux (in 2 different
isos).

>> Regards.
>>
>> Keshav
>
> I'm with you, but I'm a complete newbie. Will you mentor me? ;)
>
> Thanks
> Arokux

Mentor you? I thought I should ask someone to mentor me (if I wanted
to participate). But I am busy with my undergrad course/project and
don't have time for SOC type stuff, not to mention that
computer/software is not my undergrad field, to actually participate
in these SOC projects (its mechanical). Anyway good luck to you. For a
start look at Archboot's setup script
https://projects.archlinux.org/archboot.git/tree/usr/share/archboot/installer/setup
for ideas (and try to merge the script with AIF or port the Archboot
script to lib-ui if possible). It is feature rich, but by no means
easy to read (its also a 1 big scripts as opposed to AIF's many files
approach).

Regards.

Keshav