[arch-releng] squashfs

Gerardo Exequiel Pozzi vmlinuz386 at yahoo.com.ar
Tue Oct 2 14:51:24 EDT 2012

On 10/02/2012 12:56 PM, Mr Green wrote:
> This is more likely not the correct place to ask, but I am interested
> in finding out more about mksquashfs. Currently I notice that
> root-image.fs.sfs once mounted gives root-image.fs which then also has
> to mounted [looped]. Is there a way to only mount and copy once? The
> root-image. Have noticed that some other live isos only need to copy
> out image to new install.
>
> MrG

what you want to do?

This is done in this way because we need a writable block device plus
compression, this is done:

[rw-fs] (ext4 /) -> [dm-snapshot] -> {ro-fs-loop} (origin)  +
{rw-cow-loop} (COW)

{ro-fs-loop} -> [fs-image] -> [ro-sfs-loop] -> [sfs-image] -> [ro-fs]
(iso9660 / extfs / vfat)
{rw-cow-loop} -> [cow-image] -> [rw-fs] (tmpfs/non-persistent |
extfs/persistent)

--
Gerardo Exequiel Pozzi
\cos^2\alpha + \sin^2\alpha = 1