[arch-releng] Proposal for a release schedule

Pierre Schmitz pierre at archlinux.de
Sun Oct 7 06:41:30 EDT 2012

Am 07.10.2012 12:30, schrieb Tom Gundersen:
> On Oct 7, 2012 12:23 PM, "Pierre Schmitz" <pierre at archlinux.de> wrote:
>> What do you think about this in general? Of course these are more
>> guidelines than strict rules and I know that we very likely will miss
>> those goals by a few days.
>
> What about simply decoupling the git development from the actual releases?
> That is, add a tag in git whenever it is 'ready', and for our monthly
> releases we use the last tag rather than current head? Even better if we
> avoid tagging just before the release so there are no surprises.

Yes, that was my initial idea and would also be nice. But we would
still need regular archiso releases as we don't want to end up with one
every other year. Arhciso might also need tochagnes to reflect changes
in Arch itself. So decoupling it might be harder than integrating it
with our release schedule.

But yes, my approach would suggest to tag archiso one to two weeks
before an iso release. Of course this also means that we don't need to
tag at all if we either have not enough changes or things are currently
broken.

Greetings,

Pierre