[arch-releng] Nicer boot menu entry on Macs

Tom Gundersen teg at jklm.no
Thu Feb 28 06:41:05 EST 2013

On Thu, Feb 28, 2013 at 12:37 PM, Pierre Schmitz <pierre at archlinux.de> wrote:
> Am 28.02.2013 12:30, schrieb Tom Gundersen:
>> I still think having the Arch installer labelled "Windows" is highly
>> suboptimal, even if it is only for one (pretty major) vendor. Any
>> other suggestions how to improve the situation?
>
> Are you sure this isn't just a firmware bug? Did you test other isos
> like Fedora etc? I don't think we set the "Windows" label here.

My guess has been that this is what Mac's display if they don't have a clue.

Fedora has support for showing their own logo (in the same way as what
I propose) as well as a proper label [0]. I don't know if they
actually use that on their live media or not though. I could check.
Anyway, the fix is a mac specific one.

[0]: <http://www.codon.org.uk/~mjg59/mactel-boot/mactel-boot.spec>