[arch-releng] Arch Linux Netboot Live System

Thomas Bächler thomas at archlinux.org
Thu Jan 31 07:14:44 EST 2013

Am 31.01.2013 12:01, schrieb Christian Hesse:
> The "Arch Linux Netboot Live System" [0] allows to boot Arch Linux install
> media directly from internet. At the moment the iPXE image chainloads a
> syslinux image providing a graphical menu. The culprit is loading kernel and
> initramfs from WAN - tftp is horribly slow if latency increases.

We use HTTP exclusively, no TFTP at all. Slowness in the transfer may be
due to the iPXE network driver performance.

> My suggestion is to drop syslinux completely and just use iPXE. Latest
> development releases from git do have a menu system [1] and iPXE itself is
> capable of loading kernel and initramfs via http (or https or whatever you
> prefer), decreasing boot time dramatically.

We would need to port all config files to iPXE. I am rather comfortable
with the syslinux syntax and we use similar configurations as the CD.

Other than more maintenance effort for me, I do not see an advantage in
using iPXE over pxelinux.