[arch-releng] [archiso] syslinux 6 status

Keshav Padram the.ridikulus.rat at gmail.com
Fri Jul 5 10:39:33 EDT 2013

On 28 June 2013 23:17, Gerardo Exequiel Pozzi <vmlinuz386 at yahoo.com.ar>wrote:

> Good news :)
>
> With syslinux-6.01-pre5 all things tested seems to work! Finally!
>
> Boot from:
>
> cdrom (ISOLINUX):         OK
> disk (SYSLINUX [VFAT]):   OK
> disk (SYSLINUX [EXT4]):   OK
> disk (ISOHYBRID-MBR):     OK
> network (PXELINUX):       OK
>
> Also tested, all other menu items, reboot, hdt, memtest, etc...
>
> Tests was made under qemu-1.5.1.
>

> PS: Since syslinux 6 supports EFI, maybe in a future (2013.08 or
> 2013.09), if all things work, I am going to replace gummiboot with
> syslinux.

Syslinux does not yet support chainloading other efi binaries like the UEFI
Shell included in the iso. The chain.c32 is built in case of efi64 or
efi32, but is actually useless since the underlying code works only in
bios. I suggest not moving over to syslinux-efi until it supports
chainloading. BTW syslinux 6.01 is in [testing] if anyone wants to test it.

Best Regards.

Keshav Padram