[arch-releng] [archiso] disable 80-net-name-slot.rules for next releng?

Dave Reisner d at falconindy.com
Fri May 24 10:27:23 EDT 2013

On Fri, May 24, 2013 at 11:04:24AM -0300, Gerardo Exequiel Pozzi wrote:
> Hello
>
> I am planing to do a new release[#1] this weekend. Since we are using
> dhcpcd.service (dhcp for all net-if) and is racy, sometimes net-if
> rename work and others no. So I think can be a good idea to not rename
> at all.
>
> Opinions?
>
> Thanks.
>

> [#1] Includes the change to move mkarchiso to /usr/bin.
> --
> Gerardo Exequiel Pozzi
> \cos^2\alpha + \sin^2\alpha = 1

I tend to think this will make for a lousy user experience given that
interface names will potentially change on the first boot of the newly
installed system. Not really in favor of this.

Proposal: stop using dhcpcd.service, replace with a udev rule that
launches instances of dhcpcd at .service for network devices as they
appear:

  # /etc/udev/rules.d/81-dhcpcd.rules
  ACTION=="add", SUBSYSTEM=="net", ENV{SYSTEMD_WANTS}="dhcpcd@$env{INTERFACE}.service"

This potentially breaks ordering for units on network.target, but we've
never been able to guarantee that anyways using dhcpcd.service.