[arch-releng] [archiso] disable 80-net-name-slot.rules for next releng?

Gerardo Exequiel Pozzi vmlinuz386 at yahoo.com.ar
Tue May 28 08:49:17 EDT 2013

On 05/24/2013 11:27 AM, Thomas Bächler wrote:
> Am 24.05.2013 16:04, schrieb Gerardo Exequiel Pozzi:
>> Hello
>>
>> I am planing to do a new release[#1] this weekend. Since we are using
>> dhcpcd.service (dhcp for all net-if) and is racy, sometimes net-if
>> rename work and others no. So I think can be a good idea to not rename
>> at all.
>>
>> Opinions?
>>
>> Thanks.
>
> Shouldn't we rather fix our network setup? We actually want to present
> these new names during setup so that people know what they'll get after
> installation.
>
> I am unsure of how to fix that, but the problem is that Kay denies that
> this is a problem in udev. Systemd/udev always claimed you need to
> listen on netlink for interface changes, now they claim you need to
> listen on netlink AND udev for those changes, which seems pretty
> redundant. IMO, the kernel should not notify netlink until udev is
> finished processing the uevent - that is nothing we can implement now,
> so let's look for something else.
>
> 1) Use networkmanager? No idea, at least LAN will work OOTB.
> 2) Wait for dhcpcd start until all network interfaces are settled? Would
> only solve the problem on boot, not with dynamically appearing network
> interfaces.
> 3) Fix dhcpcd to listen on udev? No idea how hard that is.
> 4) Dynamically launch dhcpcd from udev when an interface appears
> (SYSTEMD_WANTS="dhcpcd@$name.service")? May work.

Option 4 does not work. See response in other email.

5) Disable dhcp at startup? Just like in old isos. This enforce to the
user to know the net-if name at all.

Also remamber that if you boot from PXE, network rename is not posible.
(I guess can be if just after all files copied, shutdown net-if)

@Pierre: I will release archiso-9 on 31 May, with or without any fix for
this issue.

--
Gerardo Exequiel Pozzi