[arch-releng] Arch iso packages; clonezilla?

Jonathan Steel mail at jsteel.org
Sun Nov 24 15:55:27 EST 2013

On Sat 23 Nov 2013 at 18:41, Dave Reisner wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 23, 2013 at 08:45:02AM +0000, Jonathan Steel wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I would like to propose including clonezilla [1][2] in the installation
> > media. It provides an ncurses menu for backing up and restoring
> > partitions/disks using partclone, which is already included (I maintain
> > both).
>
> I'm of the opinion that our ISO is already way too big. Adding a tool
> which doesn't provide any functionality we don't already have seems like
> a waste.

It, along with drbl (dependency) would bring extra functionality, I
belittled it calling it just a "menu"; it is more than that. I would not
suggest this would it not just make a few MB difference. I think of the iso
as a recovery tool as well as installation media; maybe we need both or to
decide on one. In terms of "installation media only" the inclusion of
software would be obvious; "do you need this during installation?", but
while it includes useful software for other purposes, I believe
clonezilla/drbl would be a good addition.

> > As well as being a small and useful tool, I have another motive for getting
> > it added.
> >
> > Clonezilla currently offer live media iso files of Debian and Ubuntu-based
> > operating systems running clonezilla. By including clonezilla in our
> > installation media they are happy to add it as an alternative version,
> > offering an Arch-based iso that you can run clonezilla on.
>
> I don't understand why this is motivation.  What's the benefit to Arch?

To make Clonezilla more convenient/more accessible; currently if an Arch
user wants to use clonezilla, they will most likely need to use archiso to
generate their own iso and boot that (partitions need to be unmounted), or
use Clonezilla's Debian or Ubuntu versions. I see this benefiting Arch
Clonezilla users, and potentially bringing Clonezilla users to Arch.

--
Jonathan Steel