[arch-releng] Changes for early microcode

Christian Hesse list at eworm.de
Wed Oct 29 12:57:17 UTC 2014

Gerardo Exequiel Pozzi <vmlinuz386 at gmail.com> on Wed, 2014/10/29 09:41:
> On 10/29/2014 09:35 AM, Gerardo Exequiel Pozzi wrote:
> > On 10/29/2014 08:31 AM, Christian Hesse wrote:
> >> Hello everybody,
> >>
> >> the official ISO file includes intel-ucode, which requires changes to the
> >> bootloader for early microcode. Will we see changes before November
> >> release?
> >>

> > I see al least two options:
> >
> > (1) Write two syslinux/gummiboot entries per each current entry,
> > something like "start archlinux for Intel machine (except virtualized
> > enviroment)", "start archlinux for non-Intel machine".
> >
> > (2) Always load intel-ucode.img for all enviroments, should be ignored
> > in cases where does not care.
>
> In case (2), for keep it simple, we can unpack then intel-ucode.img and
> just always add the .bin inside archiso.img
>
> I guess, should work. Please confirm, I do not have Intel CPU.

That does not work. Not sure why the microcode is ignored, but I could not
updated this way.

What works is concatenating the initramfs images. Something like

# cat intel-ucode.img initramfs-linux.img > archiso.img

works perfectly. This is the method described upstream [0].

[0] https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/x86/early-microcode.txt
--
main(a){char*c=/*    Schoene Gruesse                         */"B?IJj;MEH"
"CX:;",b;for(a/*    Chris           get my mail address:    */=0;b=c[a++];)