[arch-releng] [RFC] Switch from dm-snapshot to overlay
Gerardo Exequiel Pozzi
vmlinuz386 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 18 21:18:34 UTC 2015
Guys, what do you think about switching to overlay filesystem by
default? This is already implemented around Jan 2015 of this year.
* It seems the most "natural" way.
* Low RAM usage if user wants do to some changes inside live-enviroment.
* No crazy crashes if zero-free-space is reached (some bbs/wiki talks
posts ask about this)
There is at least two issues at boot time:
(1) /var/log/journal: Cannot set file attribute for '/var/log/journal',
value=0x00800000, mask=0x00800000: Inappropriate ioctl for device
(2) /etc/machine-id: Failed to unmount transient /etc/machine-id file in
our private namespace: Invalid argument
(1) Does not care.
(2) Unsure about it. The file has an "id" after bootup, maybe the most
safe thing to do, is to generate machine-id at build time (or at
initramfs), instead of just placing an empty file and generate an "id"
at runtime (on switched-root).
Static hostname: archiso
Icon name: computer-vm
Machine ID: b0e5ffa9728f421dacf4564936dce6e1
Boot ID: 92e4f6a2202f49798cb0e4782e791daf
Operating System: Arch Linux
Kernel: Linux 4.1.2-2-ARCH
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Size: 473 bytes
Desc: OpenPGP digital signature
More information about the arch-releng