[arch-releng] September ISO file and SSH root login

crow crow at linux.org.ba
Wed Sep 9 13:02:41 UTC 2015

With the September ISO it is not possible to login over SSH with user
root during installation without additional changes in the sshd_config
file. Normally I boot archiso, load the keymaps, change root password
(so it is not empty), and start sshd daemon.

But you will not be able to login from another pc (in my case desktop
pc for easier installation) and journalctl does show this:

archiso sshd[691]: pam_unix(sshd:auth): authentication failure;
logname= uid=0 euid=0 tty=ssh ruser= rhost=10.X.X.126  user=root
archiso sshd[691]: Failed password for root from 10.X.X.126 port 54253 ssh2

I solved this by editing the “/etc/ssh/sshd_config” file and adding
this “PermitRootLogin yes”, and restarting sshd daemon.

Was this changed with purpose or is it with the openssh included with
September ISO now default option.