[arch-releng] [RFC] ISO Releng size

Michael Gisbers michael at gisbers.de
Mon May 23 09:48:25 UTC 2016

Am Sun, 22 May 2016 19:55:40 -0300
schrieb Gerardo Exequiel Pozzi <vmlinuz386 at gmail.com>:

> Hello
>
> Some people complains about current [2016.04] (724M) size of our only
> ISO image is greater than CD [700M]. Next month ISO will be about
> (743M).
>
> (1) Keep things like now, and fix the Download page test "The image
> can be burned to a CD" -> "The image can be burned to a DVD".
> (2) Provide again single ISO per architecture (CD-friendly) and dual
> ISO (DVD needed).
> (3) Provide only single ISO per architecture (CD-friendly).
> (4) Remove some tools from ISO.
>

> Personally I am a bit neutrally here, I do not use CD or DVD for
> years, but I do not like the option (4), many tools are here by user
> request along time. My vote is for option (1) then (2).
>
> Thanks for reading.

Hello,

the actual ISO is too big to get it just on-the-fly. I'd like to have a
per architecture to be able to get a quite small image on-the-fly (3),
but having also a dual ISO is a nice additional feature (2).

To be honest: I cannot remember the last time I had to start or
configure a machine without x86_64 architecture...

Customized images with additional graphical interface like NepuLinux [0]
should also be splitted into smaller architecture ISOs. The actual image
is near the 1GB border.

[0] https://mirror.mylinuxtime.de/nepulinux/
--

 Regards,

 Michael Gisbers
 http://gisbers.de

 GnuPG Fingerprint: DD12 A30E 5070 68C7 B405  C18E D51C 8A53 63B4 835B
 GnuPG PublicKey: http://tinyuri.de/mgisberspub