[arch-releng] regression with race condition on pxe boot with nbd

Christian Hesse list at eworm.de
Tue May 24 12:54:23 UTC 2016

Christian Hesse <list at eworm.de> on Tue, 2016/05/24 14:35:
> Hello everybody,
>
> with my latest builds I see a regression on pxe boot with nbd. About 50% of
> boots fail. The nbd module is loaded, nbd-client attaches the device, but
> mount fails:
>
> mount: you must specify the filesystem type
> ERROR; Failed to mount '/dev/nbd0'
>    Falling back to interactive prompt
>    You can try to fix the problem manually, log out when you are finished
>
> A simple mount allows to continue boot:
>
> mount /dev/nbd0 /run/archiso/bootmnt/
> <Ctrl>-d
>
> My guess is that linux 4.6 introduced a race condition. Any idea how to fix
> or handle this?

Looks like adding a boot parameter

nbd.nbds_max=2

fixes this (or makes it a lot less likely to happen). However this is still
more of a workaround...
--
main(a){char*c=/*    Schoene Gruesse                         */"B?IJj;MEH"
"CX:;",b;for(a/*    Best regards             my address:    */=0;b=c[a++];)