[arch-releng] Add failsafe options

Gerardo Exequiel Pozzi vmlinuz386 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 25 23:59:07 UTC 2017

On 04/24/17 01:15, Sven-Hendrik Haase wrote:
> Quite often on some systems I get the problem that the screen stays black
> when booting an archiso because some driver snatches the display and then
> doesn't do anything. I think following other distros here would be a cool
> thing. A failsafe option for BIOS/EFI should be introduced that will for
> now only add "nomodeset" to the command line.
>
> This might help many users who would otherwise be frustrated. It's also not
> quite obvious to find a solution for this on Google.
>
> Thoughts?

Hi,

In my opinion, adding a "failsafe" option is like hidding the video
issue. In any way, when system is installed, such boot option should be
present.
Just adding the documentation in the right place is just sufficient.
Forcing users to read the proper docs is not bad.
Also if we call "failsafe" can be confused with unrelated "failsafe" initrd.