[arch-releng] Pretty EFI splash

Sven-Hendrik Haase sh at lutzhaase.com
Wed Apr 26 07:59:55 UTC 2017

On 26 April 2017 at 02:02, Gerardo Exequiel Pozzi via arch-releng <
arch-releng at archlinux.org> wrote:

> On 04/24/17 01:51, Sven-Hendrik Haase wrote:
> > I think it would be cool to have the EFI splash screen show the same
> > graphical image that the syslinux boot loader has. I played around a
> little
> > to try to get it to work but failed. I used the systemd test as a basis
> for
> > that [1].
> >
> > Thoughts on pretty EFI boot loader?
> >
> > [1] https://github.com/systemd/systemd/blob/dd8352659c9428b19670
> 6d04399eec
> > 106a8917ed/test/test-efi-create-disk.sh
> >

> EFI boot is a bit problematic in some hardware and many of these issues
> come from graphics management. I prefer to keep things in the safe place
> of simple. Maybe adding a fancy logo makes the system unable to boot.

Ok. One thing though: Can we use syslinux for EFI and bios boot? Then we
might be able to have fewer separate parts in the system as currently we
use a separate EFI boot loader. I know that some years back there were
concerns about syslinux not being able to boot EFI properly in all cases
but those issues might have been resolved in the mean time. In that case we
will get the pretty splash for free.