[arch-releng] Licensing of the archiso repository under the terms of the GPL-3.0

Eli Schwartz eschwartz at archlinux.org
Fri Jun 5 03:21:49 UTC 2020

On 5/29/20 6:39 PM, David Runge wrote:
> Hello again,
>
> as I'm obviously incapable of using e-mail at this time of day, I
> apologize again for the inconvenience of getting this mail so many times
> and hope that you'll answer *to this e-mail* instead of to the one to
> arch-general.
>
> Sorry again. I guess it is time to take a nap...
>
> Best,
> David
>
> On 2020-05-30 00:22:18 (+0200), David Runge wrote:
>> Hello to all,
>>
>> I'm writing to you on a rather urgent note and I apologize if I may have
>> send this mail twice to some of you.
>>
>> The archiso repository [1] does not declare its license and to remedy
>> this situation I would like to license the code base under the terms of
>> the GPL-3.0-or-later [2].
>> For this I have opened a ticket [3] and an accompanying merge request
>> [4].
>> However, I can not rightfully license the repository without full consent of
>> previous contributors, which is what this mail is all about.
>>
>> Please respond to this e-mail with a positive affirmation. If you are
>> not on this mailing list anymore and you have been put in CC I will post
>> your response to this mail to the mailing list for transparency.
>>
>> I have extracted the list of direct contributors to the repository (keep the
>> dups ;-) ):
>>
>> $ git log --format='%an <%ae>' | sort -u | sed 's,^,\t,'
>>
>> Aaron Griffin <aaron at archlinux.org>
>> Aaron Griffin <aaronmgriffin at gmail.com>
>> Adam Purkrt <adam at purkrt.net>
>> Charles <ce at vejnar.org>
>> Charles Vejnar <ce at vejnar.org>
>> Christian Hesse <mail at eworm.de>
>> Christopher Brannon <cmbrannon79 at gmail.com>
>> Christopher Brannon <cmbrannon at cox.net>
>> Dan McGee <dan at archlinux.org>
>> David Runge <dave at sleepmap.de>
>> David Thurstenson <thurstylark at gmail.com>
>> Dieter Plaetinck <dieter at plaetinck.be>
>> Eli Schwartz via arch-releng <arch-releng at archlinux.org>
>> Florian Pritz <bluewind at xinu.at>
>> Gerardo Exequiel Pozzi <vmlinuz386 at gmail.com>
>> Gerardo Exequiel Pozzi <vmlinuz386 at yahoo.com.ar>
>> Gerhard Brauer <gerbra at archlinux.de>
>> Keshav P R <the.ridikulus.rat at gmail.com>
>> Li-Yu Yu via arch-releng <arch-releng at archlinux.org>
>> Loui Chang <louipc.ist at gmail.com>
>> Lukas Fleischer <archlinux at cryptocrack.de>
>> Pierre Schmitz <pierre at archlinux.de>
>> Sean Enck via arch-releng <arch-releng at archlinux.org>
>> Simo Leone <leone.simo at gmail.com>
>> Simo Leone <simo at archlinux.org>
>> Steffen Bönigk <boenki at gmx.de>
>> Sven-Hendrik Haase <sh at lutzhaase.com>
>> Thomas Bächler <thomas at archlinux.org>
>> chandan <cks071g2 at gmail.com>
>> jamesm-sitegen <jamesm.sitegen at gmail.com>
>> martindamianfernandez <martin.damian.fernandez at gmail.com>
>> Øyvind Heggstad <heggstad at gmail.com>
>>
>> Best,
>> David
>>
>> P.S.: I hereby confirm that I would like my work on archiso to be licensed
> [...]

under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the
Free Software Foundation, either version 2 of the License, or (at your
option) any later version.

Also thanks for doing this, because it in combination with other things
nudged me into finally wrangling together the same thing for dbscripts
(because I was lazy even though I've emailed people to start the
process, back in December):
https://lists.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-projects/2020-June/005375.html

--
Eli Schwartz