[arch-security] strange netstat connections after having opened Firefox

Jonathan Roemer jon at roemersoftworks.com
Fri Dec 4 19:10:48 UTC 2015

> The only web page I have opened today with this machine is in deed
> the page of my router (http://192.168.100.1:80) as confirmed by
> 'visited pages'. Could the remote web addresses which we saw in the
> netstats belong to anything queried by some Firefox

Note that Firefox makes a good number of network requests whenever it
starts, unless you have modified it not to do so. These include:

Heartbeat
https://wiki.mozilla.org/Advocacy/heartbeat

Google's safe browsing, malware, and phishing protection
https://www.privacytools.io/#about_config

And various Akamai servers to check for add-on updates.

That's all that I can remember off the top of my head, but do not expect
Firefox to not make network requests simply because you have not
navigated to any websites.