[arch-women] for next channel meeting

krosos krosos at autistici.org
Mon Oct 26 09:22:43 UTC 2015

So additional info, even if I can make it to the meeting it's much text,
coming from a conversation this with lynX:

PSYC (psyced.org) features useful for this project:
- has scalable banlists
- you technically can't send private messages to strangers: you first
need to friendship each other, before that every user has a default
filter where strangers can't stalk them or harass them via priv msg.
- you can set requirements for joining users like "registered" and
"encrypted"
-- however, if somebody automates the registering process there are no
tools to handle this yet (also see below) but can/will be written then.
in a sense if a massive 4chan attack (or even small regular attacks)
happen it would be more than a stress test
- you can have a 2 step system (ask lynX about that one):
-- example:
   new user joins, gets into archwomen-welcome. when they are no
   spammer or otherwise toxic person they get invited into archwomen
   (which could be invite only, invisible from listing).
   in the long run, this could be too annoying for 4chan.

If problems occur, it's a challenge to accept and tune psycd, as long as
it can improve psycd it's good for all who use psyc. On the other hand -
if problems hit an problematic point (more work than people can handle)
there are features which are restricted to psyc admins - run your own
instance -, like only admins see IP numbers of users, nobody else. so
you can block the IP numbers (did lynX mean block in iptables or in
psyc? i don't know anymore, contact him if you need to know) of spammers.

Although I grew tired of IRC, I will try to make it to the next meeting.