[arch-women] LibrePlanet'2018 Conference

A. Mani a.mani.cms at gmail.com
Sat Feb 24 18:48:13 UTC 2018

 The Free Software Foundation's LibrePlanet 2018 conference, coming up at
MIT in
Cambridge, MA on March 24-25.

_____________________FWD__________

LibrePlanet is an annual conference for free software enthusiasts,
bringing together software developers, policy experts, activists and
computer users to learn skills, share accomplishments, and face
challenges to software freedom. Newcomers are always welcome, and
LibrePlanet 2018 will feature programming for all ages and experience
levels. FSF members and students attend gratis. Learn more at
https://libreplanet.org/2018; register at
https://my.fsf.org/civicrm/event/info?reset=1&id=71.

LibrePlanet's 10th anniversary theme is "Freedom. Embedded." Consider:
embedded systems are everywhere, in cars, digital watches, traffic
lights, and even within our bodies. Right now, proprietary software is
everywhere, its sinister aspects embedded in software, digital devices,
and our lives. We've come to expect that our phones monitor our activity
and share that data with big companies, governments enforce digital
restrictions management (DRM), and even our activity on social Web sites
is out of our control.

In a society reliant on embedded systems, how do we defend computer user
freedom? How do we insist on copylefted code, protect ourselves against
government and corporate surveillance, and move toward a freer world?
For many people, digital freedom seems like a pipe dream. Can we change
the narrative and make free software the norm, instead of walled
gardens, denial of the right to repair, and DRM?

Let's envision freedom embedded together.

Best

A Mani

Prof(Miss) A Mani
CU, ASL, AMS, ISRS, CLC, CMS, IEEE