[aur-dev] JSON - search options

Piotr Husiatyński phusiatynski at gmail.com
Sat Apr 5 06:33:15 EDT 2008

On 02:14 Sat 05 Apr     , eliott wrote:
> On 4/5/08, Piotr Husiatyński <phusiatynski at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I was wondering about searching with more than one argument. For example, if I
> >  want to find PKGBUILDs that name contain `pac` and `man` words, I have to
> >  search for all `pac` PKGBUILDs and then, grep that to show only those with
> >  `man`.
> >  But it would be easyier for AUR, to get more complex SQL question, and less
> >  data will be transfered.
> >
> >  What do you think about it?
>
> My original implementation used mysql full text searching (type
> boolean if I recall).
> http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/fulltext-boolean.html
>
> I don't remember why it was changed to `like` style matching... maybe
> because it required adding a full text search index, or because the
> load difference was an unknown quantity with full text searches. I
> don't recall offhand.
>
> It would have allowed queries like..
>     +pac +man -aur

This would be great and easy in use, but is it safe for server?

> I think some testing would need to be done to determine the 'expense'
> of full text indexing with regard to the aur. Note also, that I think
> the default min word length for full text queries is 4 characters. I
> believe this is a tunable, but I really wouldn't recommend going lower
> than minlength of 3 probably.
3 is ok, becouse of lua, abs, git and many other names. But right now, I can
do `aur search a` and the result is 8130 names.
Or searching with short words should be allowed, but the result has to be cut
to smaller amount of data. You can search giving the single char, but you'll
get only 50 first names.

{
    "type" : "search" ,
    "results":ReturnData,