[aur-dev] JSON - search options

Loui louipc.ist at gmail.com
Sat Apr 5 11:06:03 EDT 2008

On Sat, 5 Apr 2008 12:33:15 +0200
Piotr Husiatyński <phusiatynski at gmail.com> wrote:

> 3 is ok, becouse of lua, abs, git and many other names. But right now, I can
> do `aur search a` and the result is 8130 names.
> Or searching with short words should be allowed, but the result has to be cut
> to smaller amount of data. You can search giving the single char, but you'll
> get only 50 first names.
>
> {
>     "type" : "search" ,
>     "results":ReturnData,
>     "cut" : ("yes"|"no"),
> }

This is a good idea, but instead of cut being boolean I would make it
an integer. Zero (or less) would mean no cut and anything larger would
mean cut at that number.

I was also thinking search should return more information than just
pkgname and pkgid. For example you could specify how much information
you want returned from the search.

Something like:
?type=search&arg=foo&fields=url,desc,tarball

The fields would specify what information you want in addition to
pkgname and pkgid. That would also help reduce hits on the server
because right now if a client wants information on all the search
results it would have to do a separate request for each package.