[aur-dev] [AUR2] How to go about official dependencies

eliott eliott at cactuswax.net
Tue Jan 1 05:00:13 EST 2008

> The database servers don't need to be on the same host in order to
> connect to them. It's possible to make use of the database without
> losing any modularity on AUR2's part.

Actually, it isn't. You *would* lose modularity, and you would have
even tighter coupling.

Additionally, remote sql invocation over arbitrary remote networks
isn't the greatest idea from both a performance and a security
standpoint.

The goal of the AUR2 should not be tighter coupling.

> I was talking with Dan about "standardising" the main site and AUR,
> mainly in terms of Django models, because the two sites are so
> similar. AUR could easily simply be a Django app that the main site
> uses. It's a bit off-topic, but I don't think integrating the sites in
> some way (at least to be able to duplicate code easily) would be a bad
> move.

With the rearchitecture of the main site, I don't think this is very feasible.
I strongly feel that the AUR should remain "it's own app".