[aur-dev] AUR2 API

Sebastian Nowicki xilonmu at gmail.com
Mon Jan 7 07:52:58 EST 2008

We have most of what we need to implement the API, and I'm kind of eager
to start on it. I thought it may be a good idea to start some discussion
about how the API would work.

I know there's an implementation in the works for the current AUR, in
PHP, so it would be great if we got some implementation ideas from that
too. Was there any discussions about that before?

The two major functions of the API will be to search and retrieve
information about a package. A utility may also want to retrieve
comments and vote for package (if that feature was to be implemented).

These are the "methods" I can think of:

# Returns a tuple of package names that match (name and description is
# searched), sorted by relevance
# Regex may be used if implemented
search(keywords)

# Returns all info about the package, excluding dependencies and
# such
get_package_info(package_name)

# Returns a tuple (array) of package names that the package depends on
get_package_dependencies(package_name)

# Returns a tuple of package comments (dictionary)
get_package_comments(package_name)

# Not sure about this one, I guess a url returned in get_package_info()
# would suffice to use wget. I don't know how one would use JSON to
# download a tarball
get_package_tarball(package_name)