[aur-dev] fwd: AUR PKGBUILD files and web searches

Loui louipc.ist at gmail.com
Mon Oct 6 18:39:01 EDT 2008

On Tue, Oct 07, 2008 at 12:07:39AM +0800, Callan Barrett wrote:
> I'm still of the opinion that if you don't want spammers getting your
> email address you shouldn't have put it on the AUR in the first place,
> there's not a lot we can actually do and contributor/maintainer tags
> are pretty lax in this respect. We're not telling people they need to
> be perfectly formatted.
>
> Just like you said I seriously doubt spammers honour robots.txt and
> the only thing we'll be losing is the ability to search PKGBUILDs
> ourselves with something like google.

Aye. If one doesn't want spam they should not publish their email or at
least not in an easily readable form. This is something that everyone
needs to learn eventually. I wouldn't spend time worrying about those
who don't take certain measures.

I do sympathise with victims of spam though, because I also have been a
victim.