[aur-dev] AUR2 Direction

Sebastian Nowicki sebnow at gmail.com
Mon Feb 16 01:52:20 EST 2009

On 15/02/2009, at 2:24 AM, Loui Chang wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 03, 2009 at 10:13:19PM +0900, Sebastian wrote:
>> Hi guys,
>>
>> I've picked up AUR2 development once again, and made it work with
>> Django 1.0+. I want to start working on binary package support, but
>> I'm unsure as to how to go about it. The current AUR depends on
>> background scripts which populate the database. I really don't like
>> this idea. It's fine for them to exist, but AUR2 should not depend on
>> them. I was thinking of writing a parser for binary packages[1] and
>> using the same upload interface for binary packages as for PKGBUILD
>> packages. Permissions to upload would obviously be restricted to
>> specific groups.
>>
>> This generalization would also allow me to get get rid of some hard
>> coded logic for the "unsupported" repository, and make AUR2 a generic
>> pacman package/PKGBUILD web interface, allowing more than one
>> binary/PKGBUILD repository.
>>
>> [1] http://www.github.com/sebnow/parched
>
> Parched really looks like something we could use.

Hopefully, yeah. I plan on rewriting the PKGBUILD parser as a C
extension, so that I can make use of Ragel[1] or some other lexer/
parser. This will make it possible to write a proper parser that
understands a subset of Bash (most commonly used things in PKGBUILDs),
with less code. Unfortunately this will probably take a while since
Ragel seems quite complicated, and I have to learn the cPython API.
Hopefully it will be worth it. Maybe even namcap could make use of it.

[1]: http://www.complang.org/ragel/