[aur-dev] Method to get all packages

Loui Chang louipc.ist at gmail.com
Thu Feb 19 09:51:56 EST 2009

On Fri, Jan 30, 2009 at 02:02:39AM +0100, Lukas Appelhans wrote:
> On Donnerstag 29 Januar 2009 16:25:50 Loui Chang wrote:
> > On Thu, Jan 29, 2009 at 03:17:54PM +0100, Lukas Appelhans wrote:
> > > Ok :) I attached a patch, which makes update it every 24 Hours (first
> > > call after new day... ;))...
> > >
> > > Untested though (as usual) ;)
> > >
> > > Comments?
> >
> > Please submit patches formatted with `git format-patch`.
> > Please test all your patches before submission.
> > I've added a bit more about submitting patches in HACKING.
> Sorry for not testing, but I have no Apache nor anything Web-related running
> on my pc and don't want to run it ;)
> Good that a friend gave me remote access to his server, so I can test the
> stuff from now ;)
>
> @Dan: Ok, thanks, I will check that stuff...
>
> Lukas
>
> PS: New patch might take a bit, I'm way busy with some other programming
> things ;)

I was chatting and brainstorming with Callan about this. We were
thinking that it would be really cool to have all information in
a pacman-like database that people could download a tarball of once a
day.

Anyways we still really have to see how heavy even this json method is
going to be. Removing comments, user info, and some other unneeded
things a MySQL DB dump from Dec weighs in at 2.5M.
Uncompressed it's 9M.

Just throwing out some ideas that could be considered here.