[aur-dev] [Less]/[More] buttons

Gergely Imreh imrehg at gmail.com
Fri Jan 23 01:47:25 EST 2009

Hi,

2009/1/23 Loui Chang <louipc.ist at gmail.com>:
> On Fri, Jan 23, 2009 at 02:10:48PM +0800, Gergely Imreh wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>>   I noticed that after the page number navigation I sent in was
>> included, the [Less]/[More] buttons were removed from the template.
>>   I think I meant my change to supplement the way people can navigate,
>> not replace. When you are looking for something specific, then the
>> page numbers can be useful. On the other hand when someone is just
>> browsing through a lot of results (e.g. checking all the orphan
>> packages which one to adopt), then the [less]/[more] buttons are
>> useful, since they always stay at the same position. Thus while
>> navigating, one does not have to move the mouse, just
>> PgDown...PgDown...Click (repeat).
>>   Since it we already have to code to make it work, I propose to put
>> them back on the site.
>>   What do you think? The removal as based on purely aesthetic choice,
>> or was there anything else behind it?
>
> I removed them because I figured that they were redundant, with the page
> links already there. Yeah I guess you could call it aesthetics.
>
> Well it's good to get feedback on these things. I guess it can't hurt to
> put them back, but maybe in a better position.

So far most of the page navigation I've seen was with such buttons as:
[First][Prev][...pages...][Next][Last]
I'd say [First] and [Last] are probably redundant for this page (well,
if it displays all the possible page numbers), something equivalent to
[Prev]/[Next] that is fixed to a position is a natural way of
navigation. And if we have them, no explanation is needed about the
meaning of the numbers. Otherwise I'd say a "Pages: [1] [2] 3 [4] ..."
or something equivalent might be useful. Just because we are not all
the same.

Still, I'd cast my vote for [Less (or Prev or...)] [all possible
pagenumbers] [More (or Next or ...)].

Fortunately the code is already there, so whatever is the decision, it
can be done pretty easily.

  Cheers,
     Greg