[aur-dev] AUR Search
garoth at gmail.com
Wed Jun 24 09:43:12 EDT 2009
Today, I'd like to be all complainy about the AUR search feature. I
haven't really looked around, but are there plans to improve it? Or is
the solution just "use google with site://"?
It seems to be kind of bad at finding stuff. Some examples:
- Can't search by description (well, it does search by description by
default, but it's not in the advanced options anywhere)
- Can't really do any decent multi-word searches afaik. To take an
example from the other argument thread, try searching for "java
gstreamer". It finds neither gstreamer-java nor java-gstreamer. It
actually finds nothing at all.
- Similarly, wildcards seem to not work. "java*gstreamer" has no results.
- It seems to not even do exact matches first. For example, search for
my package, "sup". There is a package in AUR that's exactly named
"sup", but if you search for that, you get 658 results, sorted
- Which reminds me, what about sorting by relevance somehow? Perhaps
sort by a weighting of votes, age, downloads, etc.
I'm sorry if I'm bringing this up as someone's already writing
improvements for AUR and this is just a waste of time :)
Note: This is a forward of an e-mail that I sent to Arch-General previously.
Andrei Thorp, Developer: Xandros Corp. (http://www.xandros.com)
Anybody who doesn't cut his speed at the sight of a police car is
More information about the aur-dev