[aur-dev] AUR2

Dave diendien at gmail.com
Mon Oct 19 10:40:41 EDT 2009

On 10/19/2009 04:40 AM, Sebastian Nowicki wrote:

> On Oct 19, 2009, at 8:38 AM, Dave wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I came across a forum post
>> (http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=80997) discussing how AUR
>> needs to be improved, which led to the AUR2 wiki page. However, the
>> last major updates, either to the Wiki page or the git repository,
>> happened in February. I was wondering what the status of the project
>> was and, if the project is still alive, contribute by coding and
>> updating the Wiki . If the project is not alive, I would like to know
>> why and if it would be worth bring the discussion back up.
>
> AUR2 stagnated because I no longer have the time to work on it, and
> there doesn't seem to be enough interest for it for others to
> contribute. The project has come quite a long way and the basics of
> the AUR have been replicated. I think the todo list on the wiki is
> still fairly up to date. Back in February I was re-writing the package
> upload logic to be better designed and use parched[1] instead of using
> bash directly (it's insecure). Unfortunately my disk died and the
> pkgbuild branch[2] might not have all my work. I also wrote more of
> the API handling stuff but that's all gone now :(.
>
> I'm not really sure whether AUR2 would be official supported and, if
> it were finished, if it would be integrated to
> http://aur.archlinux.org. I do recall interest in it though, but it
> should be discussed further.
>
> I would still like to work on the project and see it finished, I
> simply don't have the time to do so. If anyone else would like to work
> on it, I'm more than happy to help in any way.
>
> P.S. Thanks for linking to that thread, seems someone else is working
> on a proper parser, yay!
>
> [1] http://github.com/sebnow/parched
> [2] http://github.com/sebnow/aur2/tree/pkgbuild
Hmmm, dying project with little to no official support? Count me in!
Would you recommend that your repository be the main repository? I'm not
quite sure what the status of the "central" repository is at this point
and you can't even connect to Thralas' repository. I'm rushing off to
work right now, but I'd like to start updating the Wiki this week and
then digging into the source code by the weekend.