[aur-dev] AUR2

Laszlo Papp djszapi at archlinux.us
Tue Oct 20 00:17:19 EDT 2009

On Tue, Oct 20, 2009 at 4:03 AM, Callan Barrett <wizzomafizzo at gmail.com>wrote:

> TOP POST
>
> Maybe I'm missing something but wouldn't it be better if you did the
> backend first and then worked on the client. Otherwise you need to rewrite
> everything in the client and it's just wasted work. Also why are you using
> the pacman code as a base for the client? I'd rather pacman handled the
> packages rather than a separate maintained tool.
>
> Sent from my iPhone

I started aurman project as a simple frontend for AUR, then I realised the
new idea later for it to be able to be a backend, api, frontend too.

I needn't to rewrite everything in the client, because I tried/try to write
the code in portable way, just see the json api interface, It's available
from C too, with the same output that the frondend parses(I maintain the
jsonapi-c in AUR too). You could see from me patch with json-interface
related thingds, because of this. Tell the truth mysql api in C is good
enough to get the data from the AUR database, and giving back json interface
related output. Summary: it's absolutely not a wasted work, nevertheless I
got some internal operations from AUR, and it's cool to get such an
experience too :)

I use pacman codebase as a sample, because I dealt with it in the past to
understand, and I think it's a good project as a starting point, I admire
pacman-project :P And it's better to understand two similar codebase than
understanding two absolutely different codebase, I think so.

It won't be a pacman wrapper, if you think of that, however I established
for it with command-line options to wrapper pacman and makepkg applications.
But to tell truth here too, I'd like if it was just optional dependency of
aurman. I don't like third party tools and applications as a dependency, so
I avoid them as I can, so I don't say with it pacman or makepkg is a bad
program or something similar, just that I'd like to be as independent as I
can. I won't be full independent from pacman/makepkg because of PKGBUILD,
PKGINFO files e.g. I linked the above suggestions above to give
idea/suggestion/recommandation.

Sorry for my relatively long post :)

Best Regards,
Laszlo Papp