[aur-dev] AUR2

Ryan Coyner rcoyner at gmail.com
Sat Oct 24 16:25:35 EDT 2009

On Tue, Oct 20, 2009 at 4:51 PM, Laszlo Papp <djszapi at archlinux.us> wrote:

> [...]
> >> applications.
> >> But to tell truth here too, I'd like if it was just optional dependency
> of
> >> aurman. I don't like third party tools and applications as a dependency,
> >> so
> >> I avoid them as I can, so I don't say with it pacman or makepkg is a bad
> >> program or something similar, just that I'd like to be as independent as
> >> can. I won't be full independent from pacman/makepkg because of
> PKGBUILD,
> >> PKGINFO files e.g. I linked the above suggestions above to give
> >> idea/suggestion/recommandation.
> >>
> >> Sorry for my relatively long post :)
> >>
> >> Best Regards,
> >> Laszlo Papp
> >>

> > I think it would help if we actually knew what this client was meant to
> do.
> > It seems to me like there's a _lot_ of feature creep. I don't understand
> why
> > you forked the pacman source code (including libalpm). The whole point of
> > libalpm is to have a common library which handles database manipulation
> and
> > package reading. Why fork it instead of simply linking against it? If the
> > libalpm code differs, I doubt that people would want to use your client,
> for
> > fear of breaking their database.
> >

> No-no, I won't fork it absolutely, just reuse some useful functions from it
> that's written, but obviously not all of them even you can see so much
> source codes from that, I will refactor so much things in the future, as I
> said it's not a simple work for an afternoon, but I fight with it :) Well,
> my API library will be named 'libalam', which mean Arch Linux Aur Manager,
> similar like libalpm, Arch Linux Pacman Manager. I think it's a good name
> choice for it to keep arch related projects closed together, not absolutely
> different way. Summary: It will be two different API.
>

> > I'd also like to know specifically what the server would do. I really
> can't
> > think of a reason not to use a mature and efficient web server who's
> > specific purpose is to serve files. Considering that a web server is
> perfect
> > for this purpose, I also don't understand why you're so opposed to a web
> > frontend. It only seems logical. The two do not have to be tightly
> coupled.
> >

> The webserver is a good choice for package storing as http/ftp two, as you
> see it in case of archlinux mirror too, okay no problem for me to build a
> web front end for aurman API or similar, but that I'd like to establish is
> command line tools as much as possible.
>
> What do you think about this small PKGINFO modification?
> http://louipc.mine.nu/arch/Step-1-PKGINFO-in-srctargz
>
> Thanks the feedback really Sebastian, maybe we will change idea more in the
> future about I think, maybe we will collaborate, hehe.

Boys,

I've been chatting with Laszlo for a bit. It's very refreshing to see some
enthusiasm on the subject of AUR2 again. I've been working on the Lex/Yacc
parser for the PKGBUILD but it hasn't been touched since May because of a
number of reasons, but this thread has helped spark my interest again.
Before we start doing some serious coding though, we really need to take a
step back and go back to the drawing board.

>From reading this thread, we can break down what we want to accomplish into
3 separate components:

Client - (Web/CLI Frontend)
Data - (PKGBUILD)
Server - (Repository)

Obviously each component will have its own sub-modules. Let's not get these
core components mixed up though. We first need to completely nail the
specifications of the data and the structure of a source-package
(non-binary). That means comments on Loui's RFC and overall brainstorming of
what consists of a source-package. My comments on the RFC and metadata
structuring:

1) I like the direction of the proposed PKGINFO. I don't know if the
pkgbase/pkgname mechanism is the right answer, but making dependencies an
attribute of the architecture makes a lot of sense.

2) Why aren't we using a markup language like XML or JSON?  It would make
parsing really easy, and making clients would be a lot easier. As for the
build() function... can't we just use Makefiles? That's essentially what it
is. There was actually a thread on the forums about this.

3) Right now there's a redundancy in how package metadata is treated. If you
look at /var/lib/pacman (which deals with binary packages), it splits up the
metadata in depends/desc/files/install, etc. If you look at the ABS (deals
with source packages), it splits up the metadata in PKGBUILDs and PKGINFOs.
Why not just use one or the other?

More on this topic later. Cheers.

--
Ryan Coyner [http://ryancoyner.com]