[aur-dev] Proposing development site of AUR

PyroPeter abi1789 at googlemail.com
Tue Aug 17 11:19:26 EDT 2010

On 08/13/2010 09:49 PM, Gaurish Sharma wrote:
> Hi,
> I think we should setup dev site for aur development on a seprate url
> like(aur-dev.archlinux.org). it won't be for normal users, just for
> people interested in aur development. aur-dev would help us testing
> latest patches. this dev site would run on master branch of aur.git
> repo.
>
> The advantage: We can make changes without fear of breaking something
> for all users of aur. I am willing to setup this up and also provide
> hosting on my VPS, if needed.
>
> So, what you think?
>
> Regards,
> Gaurish Sharma
> www.gaurishsharma.com

Hello,

this could certainly not help with finding bugs, as patches are, at
least in theory, bug-free _before_ they are pulled to master.

But it could be used for experiments:
You could make fundamental changes there first, and ask AUR-users to try
the new software, before the change is pulled to the main page.

For this to work, the dev-aur must run on a new branch, as you may not
want to pull every experiment to master. The page also should run on
the same database as the normal AUR, to be able to address problems only
occurring in normal use.

This would also shorten the time one has to wait for new
features/bug fixes to appear on the main page. ("Bleeding-edge AUR,
the Archlinux of the AUR's")

Regards, PyroPeter

--
freenode/pyropeter                          "12:50 - Ich drücke Return."