[aur-dev] Git workflow

Denis Kobozev d.v.kobozev at gmail.com
Wed Jun 23 21:32:50 EDT 2010

On Wed, Jun 23, 2010 at 4:42 PM, Aaron Griffin <aaronmgriffin at gmail.com> wrote:
> If you're not in control of a branch, it is best not to work on that
> branch. I generally keep all my work in a separate branch, so that
> master can be clean and I can rebase as needed.

It's somewhat surprising that the Git documentation and other online
info I found rarely describes what happens after you do `git
format-patch origin`. Perhaps I've been thinking about this for too
long. Suppose I do this:

$ git clone git://projects.archlinux.org/aur.git
$ git checkout -b feature_a
# code, test...
$ git commit -a

$ git checkout master
$ git pull origin
$ git checkout feature_a
$ git rebase master
$ git format-patch master
$ git send-email --to "aur-dev at archlinux.org" *.patch

Then after a while I'd like to see if feature A has been accepted. I do:

$ git checkout master
$ git pull
$ git log

It looks like it has been accepted. Can I be sure it has been accepted
in its entirety and that I can delete my feature_a branch? I could've
sent a series of patches and some of them have been rejected.

Best,
Denis.